Friday night curry part two – jeera rice
So what else do you need for a Friday night curry? Tasty rice I should say. Here in the UK we are forever having colourful pilau rice but in India I didn’t come across that anywhere (which I was quite pleased about to be honest!). What I did have a lot was Jeera Rice. Jeera is just the Indian name for cumin. I love the taste of cumin and it is very good for you it can be beneficial for your digestion which is a good thing when eating a spicy curry! Cumin can also lower cholesterol, help to boost your immune system and can help fight the symptoms of osteoporosis a bit of a super food by all accounts and it tastes good so win win!
- Place some basmati rice in a sieve and rinse under a cold tap until the water runs clear.
- Heat up some gee or other mild flavoured oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add to the pan 5 green cardamoms 1 black cardamom 5 cloves 1 large cinnamon stick and at least 2 heaped teaspoons of cumin seeds.
- Fry for a couple of minutes to toast them off.
- Add the rice and double the volume of water with some salt to taste, stir well and then leave.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down and leave to simmer until the water has disappeared.
- Switch off the heat put the lid on and leave for at least 5 minutes to fluff up.