Preparing a Thai spice mix ready for some recipes
So I have started working on some recipes from my Asia trip and firstly realised I need to make my own spice mix. Having been to my local Thai supermarket (which is excellent) it seems that the general Thai curry paste they have has wheat in it for some reason, I find that strange as I rarely came across wheat in food over there. Instead I have been reading up on dry spice mixes as a dry mix will keep for longer in an airtight container.
Thai Curry Powder Mix
You will need:
3 tablespoons cumin seeds, 3 tablespoons coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon cloves, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, 11 cardamom pods, 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 3 tablespoons turmeric, 1-2 tablespoons chilli flakes (amount is to your preference of heat)
- Toast all the whole spices in a dry frying pan over a hot heat. Keep moving them around so they don’t catch and burn but begin to release their aromas.
- Add everything else and continue toasting for a minute or two more and keep moving the spices around.
- Tip out of the pan and leave to cool. If you leave them in the pan they will carry on toasting and burn.
- Blend everything together into a fine powder.
- Keep in an air tight jar and it should last for a good two or three months before it starts to loose its flavours.