Abruzzo Italy and aubergines
I have just had a wonderful few weeks in Palombaro a small town in the Abruzzo region of Italy. This area is central and to the east of Rome stretching to the coast. I have been staying with my friends who moved here two years ago. Life is very different in a really good way. Food is very seasonal and people grow much of their own fruit and veg, plenty of preserving and freezing is required to make sure food isn’t wasted and lasts through the winter. When I arrived I was tasked with thinking of things to do with aubergine as there had been a particularly good crop. I came up with Smokey Aubergine Pasta.
Prick two whole aubergines and cook until soft in a medium to high oven. When soft remove and char the skin directly on a gas flame, leave to cool down.
- Mash 10 anchovies with 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil and fry in a large pan
- Add the skinned and chopped aubergines
- Add some halved cherry tomatoes
- Add some whole basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook a gluten free pasta of your choice, drain and add to the aubergine mix.
- Eat with a glass of red wine!